Saturday, January 10, 2009

Out in VA

Sorry I have been MIA. I have been busy trying to rearrange my work schedule and get out to VA to be with my family and pay my last respects to my grandfather. It has been a lot of juggling but it worked out.

The best part was my pt job from home gave me paid bereavement time--5 days! It was so generous and thank god for it, I needed all 5 days. As far as freelance writing, I brought my laptop to VA with me and have been able to do a little bit of work, which has been great. I am just glad I have the freedom that I do.

Now--the exciting news. I found an ad on Craigslist about a month ago or so for a Message Board Operator position that was work at home. It was from New York, but I figured I would try and send my resume anyway. Around New Years Eve I heard back that over 300 people applied and I was one they were interested in. Wellllllll....I emailed, did a couple phone interviews and guess what?!?! I GOT IT! I am so excited. Made these last few days a little easier to bear.

Just a note--the two regular jobs I have with a steady income, working from home--I found on Craigslist. While there are some scams on CL and you have to be careful, there is a lot of legitimate opportunities out there. I am going to do another post on how to effectively search Craigslist, why employers use it and how to set yourself apart from the crowd. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your loss, but congratulations on the new job. I love being able to bring my laptop and work from anywhere, but it does cut into vacation time. I am jealous of those people who go away and have no idea what is going on with work.

Unknown said...

HIP HIP HOORAY! Congrats!

How was the rest of your time in VA?

Eli said...

Despite the obvious, it was a good trip. It was so nice to reconnect with my family. I haven't seen some of them in several years, so it was great to spend time together. I am so grateful to my aunt for putting me up for a week so I didnt have to get a hotel room and my Grandma for making sure I NEVER missed a meal...or a drink, lol.