Monday, July 28, 2008

I'm Tired!

Oh my goodness...what a L-O-N-G weekend! My mom had to have surgery last week, so on Thursday I packed up the kids, the husband, the dog, and my laptop and made the 3 hour drive out there. The surgery was on Mom's ankle, and part of her Achilles tendon had to be cut, so needless to say, she can barely get out of bed. I felt it was important to help take care of her and do whatever I could to make her more comfortable. Needless to say, it is times like these that I am so grateful for my job. I could be with my kids, with my mom and still be able to work without worrying about taking time off. Of course, I didn't want the kids bothering "Grandma" so my husband and stepdad kept them entertained. They went to parks, went out on the lake in the canoe, shopping...I guess for them it was almost a mini vacation, lol! I, on the other hand, am exhausted. I was on-call for mom and she has her days and nights mixed up a bit, so she needed a lot of help at night. I also did all of the cooking for everyone and made some extra meals so Stepdad could just heat them up since she will be out of commission a few more weeks. I tried to clean up the house some too, (even though I HATE cleaning!!) because I know she is proud of a clean home.

I felt so empowered to be able to take care of my family and support my mom and still be able to work. I do not think any mother should have to choose between her family and children or her job and this weekend really reinforced that belief for me. And I am not sexist, Dads too of course! LOL! If I can give just one person the resources to be home with their family and still be able to work, I will have met my goal.

I am finishing up my summer semester courses right now--I have a BA in Political Science/Pre-Law but I am finishing up my Paralegal certification--and I am just swamped! I took 12 hours (4 8 week courses) so I am overloaded! Luckily, all the projects and all the finals will be finished after the 31st (my dear daughter's 1st birthday!) and then I will be able to spend a lot more time researching and posting leads!

Happy Monday to Everyone and I hope you have a GREAT week!!

0 comments: