Saturday, December 20, 2008

We Put the FUN in Dysfunctional

SO this is an identical post from my other blog, but I didnt feel like retyping.

Finally home from our family Christmas. It pretty much went how I expected. Let's see, I was nagged within 2 mintues, criticized in 5 minutes, given a dirty look in 10 minutes, and was crying before the 1st hour was up and telling my husband we were leaving. Its not that my family is that malicious or evil or anything, (at least I like to think so) it is really that most of them are inconsiderate or insensitive or oblivious. I have 8 aunts and uncles and around 20 cousins or so (I think, I cant remember) and then I have my 3 kids. Now, not everyone goes to this family party, some people are out of state, some dont deal with the drama, and some fake illnesses and even death to get out of attending.

My biggest problem today, besides my mother, was the food. The way it works is each year 2 siblings plan/cater the event. Everyone in my family knows we are vegetarians and have been. It isnt a shock or surprise or anything. There are 5 of us and another cousin and her boyfriend are as well (but they never come, probably because of what happened today). There were about 25 or 30 people there I think which means about 20% of the party was vegetarian. Do you think there was anything that me or my children or husband could eat? 1 thing, some rice. Unless you count the bread for the roast beef sandwiches. Maybe I sound like a jerk or a whiny brat, BUT if you are going to host a party and invite people to come and 20% of them dont eat meat, why would not you not have one meatless entree OF 5 and maybe just maybe a fruit or veggie tray?? There was a Ham, a ton of Italian Beef, 3 pots of Ravs ALL in MEAT SAUCE (even though they were made by 3 different people) and sausage weiner things for the entrees. The sides were a ceaser salad and rice and cranberry sauce. While everyone else got to eat, my family could basically eat nothing. Why be so inconsiderate? If we didnt eat meat for religious reasons or allergies or something I bet there wouldnt be this bullshit! Luckily my dh thought ahead and figured people would be jerks so he packed peanut butter sandwiches and bananas. It was humiliating to bring a sack lunch to my family christmas.

Dont get me wrong, I dont expect anyone to jsut cater to me or not serve any meat at all or anything like that. All I am asking for is one thing my kids could eat, one thing. Could you do one set of ravs in marinara sauce instead of meat? Everyone likes that! I am not demanding everyone eat tofu...I really dont think it is such an outrageous request OR let me know ahead of time you have no intention of serving anything meatless and I can make something and bring it. Then, my own mother, asks my 5 year old daughter "Did you eat any of Grandma's ravs yet?" To which dd says no...my mom acts all insulted so I yell from my seat, "Uhhh, mom...you put meat in the ravs. Ummmm....we dont eat meat remember??" And my mom yells at me all indignant "SORRRRRYYYYYYYYY." And gives me a nasty look.

I wont even go into the drama with my sister. Thank god for my dearest cousin (dc), who is my best friend and surrogate sister. Without her I never would have gotten through the day. She dragged me outside and calmed me down like only she can and made it all better (like she always does).

And that, was my family Christmas. Not enough valium and vodka in the world to get through it!

0 comments: